Taxing problem for benefits

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Taxing problem for benefits

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings FIRE folk :)

Scott says:
If you want to replace your purchasing power in retirement, you'll have to pay more taxes to Uncle Sam today. You'll have to pay still more tomorrow. This will happen because Uncle Sam has had the power to tax Social Security benefits since 1983.
That, dear reader, is one of the reasons we need to chuck the entire tax code and start over.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 930f0.html

I'm in favor of reverting the current tax code to a 1950's ish, model. :wink:
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
Mike
*** Veteran

Post by Mike »

I favor a 1900 style federal tax code. That is, no federal income tax at all. No federal sales tax.
unclemick
*** Veteran

Post by unclemick »

The Federal tax code is why I am shifting deck chairs on the Titanic - using the ORP Retirement Calculator to try out the effects of mini Roth Conversions, taking SS late, looking at beefing up dividend stocks(not easily simulated on a calculator). Age 62 this year, filing single, 65% Trad. IRA, while age 70 1/2 RMD is better now - but??? - that back door tax on SS??

Letting the 15% bracket wag the dog might be dangerous - but again like fund expenses - I don't want to pay a lot in taxes.

And then there is Mark Twain's famous dictum: "When Congress is in session" - the ding dongs will change the rules - right AFTER I make my portfolio moves.