Goals in Retirement

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!

Post by karma »

karma - it is now fixed so my Activity Tree should be showing

Post by karma »

It seems to me that besides a Leisure/Activity tree, some kind of list for activities you want to stop would be good. You can get overwhelmed while retired just as you do when working. Maybe listing each activity you want to stop/reduce and a couple of ways to do it.

Example - overcommitted on volunteer activities.
Possible solutions: Just say no, scale back and don't feel guilty about it, shift your emphasis to another part of the organization which is more to your liking. I have done the latter with pretty good success.

Example - relatives/neighbors asking for help during the day because "you don't have anything else to do". This is a toughie that I am dealing with right now.
Possible solutions - bridge the times you will be available: Tuesday from noon to 3, Thursdays from 9-12. Develop an activity that makes it impossible for people to impose on you - I've done that, too. If all else fails, just say no (maybe this should be my mantra).

Example - minimize housework.
Possible solutions - declutter :), divide up chores, move to a smaller home.

And so on. Just a thought

ben
*** Veteran

Post by ben »

Work! I would stop work! 8)

I believe I would have time for all the other things as long as work was cleared.

Cheers, Ben
Normal; to put on clothes bought for work, go to work in car bought to get to work needed to pay for the clothes, the car and the home left empty all day in order to afford to live in it...

Post by karma »

Work! I would stop work!

See - being retired 6+ years, I forgot the most important activity to cross off your list.

ben
*** Veteran

Post by ben »

Karma I think you have a great point though. My mom who did the more traditional retirement (besides some part time work for fun) says that she does not have enough hours in the day to see how she ever had time for work.

I think I will feel the same way in FIRE - just too many things I want to do today I never have the time for.

Cheers, Ben
Normal; to put on clothes bought for work, go to work in car bought to get to work needed to pay for the clothes, the car and the home left empty all day in order to afford to live in it...