Diversified portfolio book recommendations?

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Diversified portfolio book recommendations?

Post by peteyperson »

I am interested in purchasing some books on diversified investment across asset classes.

Does anyone have suggestions, with their reasons for why that book is worth investing in?

Thanks,
Petey :shock:
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Re: Diversified portfolio book recommendations?

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings Petey :)
peteyperson wrote: I am interested in purchasing some books on diversified investment across asset classes.

Does anyone have suggestions, with their reasons for why that book is worth investing in?

Thanks,
Petey :shock:

My favorite on that subject is Bernstein's "The Four Pillars". Along with "Common Sense" and "Random Walk" I feel this is one of the best books on personal investing there is. That is especially true for all of us "B.I.C." members. :wink:

ES
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
raddr
*** Veteran

Post by raddr »

Hi Petey,

As far as I'm concerned the best I've seen is Bernstein's "Four Pillars". It tells you pretty much all you need to know about asset allocation. I'd also recommend reading as many of his Efficient Frontier articles as you can.
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Bernstein

Post by peteyperson »

What is the difference between Bernstein's 'Asset Allocation' book and the newer 'Four Pillars'?

Thanks,
Petey
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Hi Petey :)

The "Four Pillars" is his latest, is an easier read for most, and is the sequel to "Asset Allocation" so it's more up to date.

ES

www.nofeeboards.com
JWR1945
***** Legend

Good references

Post by JWR1945 »

Peteyperson, ElSupremo has archived a whole lot of good information. I don't know exactly where it is at the moment. It was via the FAQs and something else at the old msn site. IIRC you ended up at ElSupremo's backup location. I was just beginning to read the material...there is a lot of it...and it is well worth learning.

Have fun.

John R.
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings John and Petey :)

All of our FAQ's and other information that was to large to put on the MSN site is at:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/indexfunds/

I haven't decided what to do with it if the new site takes off. For now I'll leave it all there. John is correct, there is a wealth of information available that we have accumulated over the past several years. It's really a nice financial resource.

ES

www.nofeeboards.com
wanderer
*** Veteran

Post by wanderer »

petey -

try, in this order: 1. random walk, 2. common sense, and 3. global investing by ibbotson and brinson.

bernstein has a list at his site and i have been making my way thru it.

i suggest that successful investors will be helped, not hindered by reading very widely, indeed: this summer i read a book which speculated about the impact of JM Keynes sexual preferences (he was ambivalent at most) on his economic and political contributions. it got me to thinking about the characteristics of those who are mentally and emotionally flexible and how that is played out in their personal and financial lives. and how i was like/not like those sorts of persons.

if you want a snapshot of current books, there is a site with interviews with the authors - something like bookchannel.com.

wanderer
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear