"You can't have a picnic without ants."

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

"You can't have a picnic without ants."

Post by ataloss »

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
Have fun.

Ataloss
[KenM]
*** Veteran

Post by [KenM] »

A perfect description.
KenM
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

as jwr1945 says:
KenM is light years ahead of many. IMHO, he is light years ahead of most.
Have fun.

Ataloss
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

Some people - particularly those who have been online for years - are not upset by trolls and consider them an inevitable hazard of using the net. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without ants."

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

Another problem is that the negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

The Internet is a wonderful resource which is breaking down barriers and stripping away prejudice. Trolls threaten our continued enjoyment of this beautiful forum for ideas.
Have fun.

Ataloss
WiseNLucky
** Regular

Post by WiseNLucky »

Some people - particularly those who have been online for years - are not upset by trolls and consider them an inevitable hazard of using the net. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without ants."

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

I came very close to leaving this community during the war discussions. This was not because of any troll. That being said, Belairpatrol went into, and as far as I know remains in, my penalty box at TMF. That would be a feature I would really like to see here.

I find I can ignore trolls (mostly). I have more problems viscerally disagreeing with posters whom I admire.
WiseNLucky

I just wish everyone could step back and get less car and less house then they want, and realize they don't NEED more. -- NeuroFool
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings WiseNLucky :)
That would be a feature I would really like to see here.

When I get paid that's the first thing I'll tend too. :wink:

Seriously, it confuses me when folks say things like "I came very close to leaving this community". :?I would think since this is our place, if your not happy with something you would try to change things rather than jump ship. I always try to accommodate everyone as best I can. But if I'm not aware of a members concerns I can't do anything about them. :?

For the most part everyone has done a good job of acting civilized toward their fellow humans here at NFB. The discussions get heated but everyone agrees to disagree in the long run. Everyone has a right to their opinion whether someone else likes it or not. That will always be the theme on these boards. If that sort of stuff bothered me I would have never built the place. I could have always been a troll somewhere else. :wink:
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
wanderer
*** Veteran

Post by wanderer »

the war conversation got heated but I do find it interesting that some considered (or did) abandon the board for that. heck, mark called me an anti-semite and it didn't stop me from posting. :wink:

The only board I quit was tmf's rehp. I would go back if I didn't have to plow through the OT nonsense and the really bad financial advice. And there's the little business about a fee to contend with.
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear
[KenM]
*** Veteran

Post by [KenM] »

.........viscerally disagreeing........
:shock::shock::shock:

ES
I always try to accommodate everyone as best I can. But if I'm not aware of a members concerns I can't do anything about them.
Could we have a built-in online dictionary, please :?:.......so I can understand what's going on :wink:
KenM
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
hocus

Post by hocus »

The only board I quit was tmf's rehp.

As the REHP community member who did more than any other to make that board the best FIRE information resource on Planet Earth, it distressed me greatly to see you leave. I understand why you did, of course. But I also am aware that you were the most popular and most informed poster on the board at the time you took leave of it.

When the most popular and most informed poster in the community leaves a board, it does great damage. You had no good alternatives, so I find no fault whatsoever with your decision. I think it is important, however, that we all come to understand that board communities are made up of people. When a board loses its best people, the value of the board is damaged.

The REHP board has never been the same since you left, Wanderer. That's not opinion. That's fact.
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings Ken :)
Could we have a built-in online dictionary, please

What's a dictionary? :wink:

How about:
http://dictionary.reference.com/

I just cut and past into outlook and check spelling. Takes about two seconds. :shock: But I'll check into it.
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com