Free membership to Motley Fool to learn about FIRE?

Research on Safe Withdrawal Rates

Moderator: hocus2004

ben
*** Veteran

Free membership to Motley Fool to learn about FIRE?

Post by ben »

Hi Hocus,
Ataloss asked me at the TMF REHP board whether your offer for free membership to TMF in order to expand the knowledge of FIRE still stands?
Cheers!, Ben
Normal; to put on clothes bought for work, go to work in car bought to get to work needed to pay for the clothes, the car and the home left empty all day in order to afford to live in it...
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

asdf
Last edited by ataloss on Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have fun.

Ataloss
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

"Ataloss asked me at the TMF REHP board whether your offer for free membership to TMF in order to expand the knowledge of FIRE still stands? "

I am not making the offer at this time, Ben.

As you have noted in a few posts, you were the only community member to take advantage of my offer. The offer was that I would pay the $30 for Motley Fool membership of any poster who let me know that they had an interest in looking at the REHP board. It's for you to say, but my impression is that you learned something by taking advantage of the offer. Is that so?

If it is, then I am of course pleased both that I extended it and that you took me up on it. The idea of these boards is to help people learn about the subject matter. One way for me to do that is to put up words in posts. But it ain't the only way. There are all sorts of posters with names other than hocus who have posted on the REHP board that people can learn from. My hope (and my belief) is that you indeed learned from more of them than you otherwise would have because of the offer I put fotward.

It is possible that I will put forward a similar offer at some point at my web site. The next time it would probably have a requirement to purchase something attached to it. For example, if someone made a $40 purchase, I could give them the $30 Motley Fool membership as a premium. If I could get Motley Fool to agree to provide the memberships to me for $20, then I would still be getting $20 in the deal and that might be enough to cover my costs, depending on the type of product being offered. The details of course are something that I would need to work out at a later time.

Anyway, the point of it all was to highlight for people the learning benefits of discussion boards. There are a lot of people who have a hard time accepting the idea of paying for access to a board. I understand where they are coming from, but my belief is that whether it is a good idea to pay or not depends on the value proposition being offered. I have obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars of benefits from my participation at the Motley Fool boards, so I obviously have no problem paying them $30 here and there. I would like to have more people come to appreicate what an amazing value can be had from parrticipation at a well-administered discussion board, and I put forward that offer in the hopes of getting a few people to focus on that aspect of things a bit.

I wouldn't say that the offer was a success. It was a disapppointment that only one person participated. But I think it was a success for that one person (you!) and that's something. I can't say that I am sorry that I put the offer forward. If you assume that there is a dollar value to the time I contribute building boards (and I do), then I have spent a lot more than $30 with a good number of posts that I have put up and in a good number of cases seen a much smaller "profit" on the transaction that what I saw in paying for your Motley Fool subscription, Ben.
ben
*** Veteran

Post by ben »

Fair enough Hocus. Cheers! :D
Normal; to put on clothes bought for work, go to work in car bought to get to work needed to pay for the clothes, the car and the home left empty all day in order to afford to live in it...